A Note to Fellow Educators on End-of-Year Stress

The end of the school year for a high school teacher is crunch time. We are:

  • reading piles of research papers, 
  • correcting last-minute make up work, 
  • completing our own professional evaluations, 
  • designing, reviewing for, administering, and grading final exams, 
  • trying to make sure all 125 of our students are going to finish the year with happy feeling of accomplishment, 
  • cleaning and packing our classrooms, 
  • and juggling our own lives and families at the same time.


Under this crush, it is easy to succumb of the overwhelming stress and feel deflated at the end of the year.  My recommendation to you, my fellow educator, is remember to stop and notice the little signs that you've done a great job.  Over the past few days a few little things have reminded me why I do this job and why it is sooooo worth it. I share them with you, not intending to brag, but to remind you not to miss these same signs as they present themselves to you during the last hot days of school.

A Note From a Parent


A Quick Thank You From a Graduating Senior You Had in Class 3 Years Ago


A Surprise at the End of a Final Assignment 


Jane wrote:
Strangely, this is my final blog post of this year! Weird, very weird. However, I am excited to come back and revisit this page some day in the future and see all of my work chronicled forever. I hope that this blog shows an improvement in not only writing, but my history analysis skills. Thank you for a great year Mrs. Gallagher! And check out her blog at http://kerryhawk02.blogspot.com/

Little Messages Left on Your Classroom Whiteboard

My G block class was into hashtags :)
 

I'm no more beloved than any other educator. We, as a group, tend to give our students and colleagues a lot of credit without taking the time to notice our own accomplishments.  So, as the year closes, be sure to take a few minutes to really notice all of the ways your colleagues, students, and their families are saying thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Social Media Starter Tips

Teaching 19th Century Ideologies with 21st Century Technologies

Guest Post: A Guide to Using Instagram in the Classroom